Everyone looking at pics en masse would be familiar with this feeling of annoyance. Quite a few online portfolios of photographers, art dealers, model agencies or magazines fastidiously deliver pic-by-pic slide shows without providing a much more convenient overall view.
by throwing in one single word to get out a diversity of pics.
This way of pictorial lottery turns out to be an exciting way of juxtaposing my own pics – fotos, paintings or construction drawings find new neighbours to astonishing effects. Just like Austrian photographer Alois Hechenblaikner, or Lilah Ramzi´s Part Nouveau – two artists/curators working (albeit more deliberately ) on the two-picture-phenomenon.
Since then I tried these following words to make up my gallery:
- Nacht (night. Starting with one, then discovering “the difference”)
- vorher – hinterher (before – after)
- schön – schwer (pretty – hard)
- Zeit – Raum (time – space)
- früher – später (sooner – later)
- auf – ab (up – down)
- weder – noch (neither – nor)
- mal – nehmen ( the only 2 syllables of German mul-ti-ply)
- weiter – näher (further – nearer)
- noch – schon (still – already)
- trotz – dem ( the 2 syllables of German nevertheless)
- wie – wo (how – where)
- bei – ab (at – from)
- hie – da (here – there)
- Kante – Fläche (edge – surface)
- Zwei – Drei (two – three)
- schon – bereits (already, 2 forms)
- kaum – bloß (rarely, scarcely)
- jetzt – nun – früher – eher – null – eins (now 2x – former – sooner – zero – one)
- ab – und – zu
- na – und – ob
By steadily adding more and more pictures and text this way of mixing is always dynamicely reacting to the latest status. By using the same old search string words there´s always new combinations of older and newest.
Revisiting those pics from time to time, I´d like to give some to the most entertaining quests.
Related hobbyhorse: the presentation of my pastells which all have the bit “ebk-scanp” in their file name. Online since June 2015. Next season: file under “ntr-scanp”, the most recent third file under “ysp-scanp”. Hey – do you feel the difference??
Some more mixes for Pleasure Of Beholding:
Read the German version of this article.
Listening to while translating/writing:
Paul McCartney: “McCartney II”, Parlophone 1979
Matthew Herbert: “Scale” K7, 2006
Etienne de Crécy: “Tempovision”, Disques Solid, 2000
Clinton: “Disco and the Halfway to Discontent”, VIrgin, 1999
The Cardigans: “Life”, Polydor, 1995